Anthony Joshua vs Kubrat Pulev could have fans in attendance on December 12 as Eddie Hearn reveals talks are taking place
Eddie Hearn has revealed that talks are taking place over the possibility of fans watching Anthony Joshua’s fight with Kubrat Pulev live.
The Government announced today they were pressing ahead with plans to allow spectators back at indoor and outdoor events from December 2, when the second national lockdown ends.
Joshua is due to face his mandatory IBF heavyweight title challenger Pulev on December 12 and boxing fans were eager to know if people would be allowed to attend.
When responding to one such tweet, Matchroom’s Hearn said: “Detailed meetings taking place and we will make an announcement in due course.”
Fans have been kept away since the first lockdown started in March – with just a few exceptions in the months since.
But restrictions will be eased after the latest national lockdown is lifted next week, with the country returning to a regional tiered system.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced that outdoor and indoor sporting venues in tier 1 and 2 areas would be allowed to admit spectators on a limited basis.
Oliver Dowden, the culture secretary, later confirmed that up to 4,000 spectators or 50 per cent capacity limits – whichever is lowest – will be put be place in tier 1, dropping to 2,000 or 50 per cent for indoor venues.
In tier 2, the limit will be 2,000 outdoors and 1,000 indoors, or 50 per cent capacity. No fans will be allowed in stadiums in tier 3 areas.
The announcement over what tier different regions of the country will be placed in will not be made until Thursday.
If London was placed back in tier 2, as before the national lockdown, then 1,000 fans may be permitted at any indoor venue but any plans could be scuppered if it goes into the highest level.
Joshua was due to fight Pulev at the O2 Arena but this could be moved to the Wembley Arena instead in anticipation of fans being allowed back.
Last week, Hearn told the Mail: “It is looking like Wembley Arena.
“We are set up there at the moment and obviously the situation with a second lockdown has changed things.
“We were hoping for a crowd at the O2, maybe 4,000 people, and we might possibly be allowed 1,000 but it’s hard to say at this point.
“We have been talking to the DCMS (the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport) and we just have to go stage by stage and see.
“AJ is ready to go. He just wants to fight.”